Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Revamp, Recycle!

Go Green!  We seriously do need to save our planet.  I won't get on my soapbox about that, but just mull it over sometime.  Where will we be if we don't change?  If you're not sure, visit your ever-expanding local landfill and think about what disentigrating into your water.

On that happy note....!!  Here are so really fun ways to use some of those items in your house that are just hanging around.  I don't like throwing things away because I don't want to junk up the world.  I donate a lot, but I buy a of of thrift store goods instead of new goods.  Read on to see if you can re-vamp and recycle anything you've got stashed away....

Country Living is my starting place, as the trend with me goes.  Any old metal trays lying around?  Pick up a can of your favor color spray paint and throw on a few coats.  If you're like me and not much of a free-hand artist, you can easily make your own stencils to add a design to the tray.  Here are Country Living's how-to directions: Simply attach a sawtooth picture hanger to the tray's back with superglue, hang the tray from a nail, then add magnets.  Wow. That was easy.  Now you have a message board and you didn't have to get rid of that old useless tray!


Have any old china around that you're not sure what to do with?  This is an adorable lamp that I find so creative.  You could make nearly any color scheme, design scheme with this idea.  This is also from Country Living and you can find the directions for how to make this lamp here: Alice in Wonderland Lamp.


There are so many things I love about this room.  I adore the wall color, especially paired with the wood floor and old dresser.  The recycled idea is the oar curtain rod.  This is great for lake or beach homes, but I'd probably use it for our mis-matched Bohome, the Burrow.  Find out how to make this here:  Country Living Oar Rod.

Can you guess what this is?  When I initially saw it, I forgot I was looking at recycled items ideas and was a bit confused.  Maybe I'm just slow?  Blame it on the job.  Anyhallyhoo, this shelf is made from drawers of an old dresser!  So before you just toss the dresser, think about re-vamping the drawers and putting them together to make a unique bookshelf.  You can design it completely for your own style, which I love.  It's also a fun way to add color and patterns.  You can find the instructions at Country Living's DIY Bookshelf.


Another Country Living idea (should I subscribe yet?)!  These vase covers are made from old sweaters.  The sweaters are also shown being used as lamp shade covers and bowl cozies (I have not better word).  There are always tons of uses for old clothes, so stop and think before you chuck it out!  And if you can't think of what you can use it for, donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army so that someone can benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment