Rabbit Hole by pennylane5309 on Polyvore.com
The mood board for our home's upstairs landing space- dubbed the Rabbit Hole. Right now it's a big empty room.
[Numbers correspond to numbers in image]
1. White Hammock Swing: The main attraction in the Rabbit Hole. Originally I was thinking an oversized chair or a loveseat, but that would take up so much room, not to mention expensive, and heavy to lift upstairs, assuming it would fit through the doorway. Then after looking at Brazilian hammocks, I got the idea to put the chair swing up instead. Fun, cozy, and lightweight! And much less expensive.
2. Wooden End Table: I might make this longer than your average end table and maybe a little shorter. But this gives you a general idea. Enough for a lamp and some decorative items (candles!), and a shelf below for a few books. Oh, and a storage drawer- always useful!
3. Purple and Brown: The general color scheme (with white) because right now the room is painted purple with gorgeous wood panels on the bottom half. I don't want to delve too much more into the colors, though, because I want the room to feel cozy but not cluttered. It's small, so I'm planning white accents.
4. White Owl Lamp: I love this lamp! It's white (+), has a lampshade (+ +...other owl lamp didn't), and is shaped like an owl (+++++). It popped up on Polyvore.com when I was looking for 'white lamp'. It is apparently $99 from West Elm (- - - - - - -) so I will not be droppin' that Benjamin anytime soon. But it's the general look of a white ceramic lamp for the Rabbit Hole.
5. Peacock Feather Rug: Another Polyvore.com find. I have been really into peacocks and peacock feathers for awhile now and would love a peacock feather rug. I have a really hard time finding rugs I like but this one screamed at me. Of course it's $300 from Pier 1 (- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - etc) so another one of those things I'll have to find a suitable look-a-like.
6. Blue Sky with Dandelion: This takes a slight explanation. The Rabbit Hole idea came to me because the landing space is small, windowless, and the ceiling is home to the pull-down ladder to the attic. The idea started with me wanting to paint the sky on the ladder ceiling panel and the Rabbit Hole idea took off from there. I like the dandelion in the painting because it is simple but adds some interest and gives the idea that you're below the plants. So this is what I plan to paint on the ceiling panel. I also plan to get lots of paint in my hair and am very much looking forward to it! :)
7. Flying Birds: Just a wall hanging idea. I think this is technically a rug but I like it as a wall hanging.
8. White Chinese Lantern: I know this can be found for much cheaper than the one shown here ($3,520 from hivemodern.com.....who spends that on a Chinese lantern?!?!?!!). Just something fun to cozy it up.
9. Old Books New Covers: I love Modcloth.com's line of literature classics with updated covers. They are hardback without the papery bookcover so I love that too. Greer bought me Alice in Wonderland for my birthday- perfect for the Rabbit Hole. I'll keep the collection going.
So there you have it- what's in my mind for the Rabbit Hole in our house. You can see current picture of the Rabbit Hole in this post. This is going to take awhile because of limited budget and limited furniture making time. I'll post updates as it starts to come together.
In the meantime, I'd like to hear what your interior design ideas are!