Monday, May 2, 2011

Happy May! The Broyhill Bench is Signed, Sealed, Delivered!

I originally wrote this post for April...but didn't finish the projects. So I will start with what I wrote for April, because it's still true...then move on!  

[I love April.  It's the first really springy month after the cold, aching winter.  It smells deliciously fresh.  It's the open-your-windows month.  It's the I-need-to-buy-curtains-to-blow-in-the-breeze month!  It's the clean out and donate month!

It's also my birthday month.  And this birthday is my Quarter Century birthday.  That's right.  Bring on the quarter-life-crisis, 25!

This is also my last full month working for admissions...eek!  I will miss the work and people very much, but I am so excited to start the next chapter of my life as an Occupational Therapy Graduate Student.  I am chomping at the bit for classes to start.  I cannot wait to be a student again... and I never thought I would say that.]


Now... on to May!

I've got lots to accomplish this month.  Upstairs landing-turned-reading nook "Rabbit Hole".  Giant cupboard shelf.  Curtains.  End tables.  Hutch.  The Dorothy Dollhouse (grumble mumble groan).
Click "continue reading"

However, I have FINALLY finished the bench for my co-worker, Christy.  I have to confess that my dad did a lot of the planning and measurements, and the complicated cuts and chiseling.  But I can still say I had a hand in building it, with some initial help from my friend Kristen, as we pulled out old nails, ripped the boards and cut them to size, planed the boards, glued, sanded, primed, painted and finished.

It is a replica of a Broyhill bench that matches her dining set.  We changed the dimensions just slightly and added the antique barn pegs at the legs of the bench.

Finished product:


 I apologize about the glare... it was actually raining outside and I wanted to protect the bench indoors.  This was the best spot to shoot it!



It's kind of hard to spot in this photo, but I tried to capture the ever-so-slightly-worn look that Christy wanted to match her other furniture.  I very gently sanded an edge here and there (gently as in 1 or 2 swipes with the sandpaper):



Here's a nice side look at the legs of the bench.  The bottom is a cut made by my dad; I didn't want to mess it up!  Old look with barn pegs:


Lastly, a close-up of the antique barn pegs:



She loved it.  Hooray!!  So much so that she already gave me another project...

Onward to the next project.... I love power tools!

2 comments:

  1. It's absolutely gorgeous!! Really fantastic job, Lolls. What's the next project?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh finishing some re-do furniture projects (The Big Kahuna pantry from Mom and Dad's old washroom), building a cubby shelf for Christy...re-doing upstairs bathroom and my studio/guestroom!

    ReplyDelete